When it comes to wedding tradition, most of us are familiar with the old well known saying ‘something old, something new, something borrowed and something blue’.
The saying dates back to the Victorian times, and is based on a poem:
Something old, something new
Something borrowed, something blue
And a silver sixpence in her shoe.
Each ‘something’ item refers to a good luck token for a bride. The custom is that if the bride carries all four items on her wedding day, she will have a long and happy marriage.
• Something old – continuity with the bride’s family and the past
• Something new – health, fortune and success in your new life as married woman
• Something borrowed – an item from a happily married friend or family member, whose good fortune in marriage is supposed to carry over to the new bride
• Something blue– this dates back to the bible when blue was thought to represent fidelity and purity and blue was a popular colour for wedding gowns.
What will you use?
We have added a few items to the lists below, please add your something items in the comments box below and we will add them to our list.
• A relative’s wedding gown
• A family heirloom: jewelry, veil or headpiece
• New shoes
• New jewelry
• New wedding Gown
• New lingerie or garter
• The most popular is an item of jewelry
• A veil or headpiece or even a wedding dress that was worn by a family member.
• Blue lingerie or garter would be the most popular
• Jewelry with a blue stone.
And, finally the silver sixpence. A silver sixpence placed into a brides left shoe is said to bring a bride wealth, joy and happiness throughout her married life.
While we can’t help with the something old and something borrowed, at www.bbbonbon.ie we do have the new and blue covered.
Something Blue Wedding Favours
Our ‘Something Blue range’ are timeless designs that come in three shades of blue, we now add a little silver horseshoe charm to wish our brides good luck.
The simpliest and easiest way to incorporate blue in your wedding favours, is simply to add one blue sweet to your chosen confectionery. This allows you to match your favours to your chosen theme or colour scheme while still incorporating the very important ‘something blue’.
We would love to hear what your something old, new, borrowed and blue are going to be. Please share your ideas and thoughts with all the other ‘brides to be’ in our comment box below and we will add them to the lists.
Many thanks and hope to see some wild and wonderful ‘something’ items to add.